So long 2015
2015 is done. I love the New Year because it’s always a good time to look back at what you have accomplished. 2015 presented me with new challenges and opportunities. As I was planning out my goals for next year, I wanted to look back at what I’ve done. Here are a few of the things I accomplished in 2015:
Blog Posts – 26 (New Record!!)
Books Read – 21
States Visited – 7 (WA, IL, TN, MS, LA, FL, CA)
YouTube Videos – 2 (Learn Pig Latin in Under 2 Hours & T-shirt Method)
Pluralsight Course – 1 (Pig Latin Getting Started)
This year was very busy and I’ve published more content in 2015 then any other year. Since this year has been a record year, I thought I should put together a list of my favorite 10 post. Hopefully these post are your favorites as well…..
Top 10 Favorite Post from 2015
- Pig Latin Getting Started Course – My favorite post because it is about my first Pluralsight course Pig Latin Getting Started. If you are interested in learning a higher level language in the Hadoop ecosystem then this course is made for you. This course allows developers with only basic SQL knowledge write MapReduce jobs without having to learn Java.
- Learn to Process Data with Apache Pig Latin – Number 2 on this list is about WHY YOU SHOULD LEARN PIG. Just so you know I think you should learn Pig Latin! I’m pretty biased when it comes to Pig but in this post I back my reasoning up with facts.
- Complete Agile Podcast – One of the most commented on post of 2015. I compiled a list of Agile Podcast from around the web. The goal was to be a resource for developers looking for Agile specific Podcast. If you see any Podcast I’ve missed let me know.
- Example Pig Latin Script – Another post about Pig Latin but this one focuses on the overall structure of Pig Latin script. The example script compares a Pig Latin script to SQL script line by line.
- Pig Latin Data Types – An in depth look at the different data types in Pig and how to cast those data types. Data types in Pig are simple so take 5 minutes to learn them.
- 4 Steps to Increasing Team Productivity by 400% – After finishing both Jeff Sutherland’s book and my Scrum Master certification I was stoked to write about team productivity. Team productivity can be boosted exponentially when using Scrum. Don’t believe me check the post to find out more.
- Apache Pig Eval Functions Series – Where else are you going to find example scripts for all the Pig Eval Functions? This is my first series post and I’m still adding more functions. If you looking for a 200 level discussion of the Pig Latin language start here.
- Apache Pig Latin Tutorial – Deeper look into my Pig Latin Getting Started course. This post actually includes 10 minutes of my course free.
- Execute Pig Script from Command Line – Most of my tutorials use Pig from the Hue Pig interface or Grunt Shell but sometimes you just need to run the script from the command line. Walk through this tutorial and run your script in under 2 minutes.
- How Big Data Impacts Holiday Shopping – While out shopping I started looking around at all the ways Big Data was affecting my Christmas shopping. It’s another example of how popular Big Data is in every aspect of our lives. In retail Big Data really is king.
And there you have it – my first Top 10 Favorite Blog Post ever. Hope everyone enjoys the look back at the year. 2016 is going to rock. I’ve got a plan to double the content from 2016 and incorporate more videos. Let know if you have anything you want me to cover in 2016.