The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago, the second best time to plant one is today.
Okay so what does this old Chinese proverb have to do with learning Hadoop? Let’s break down the proverb. Trees are awesome when they are huge and provide a ton of shade or have large branches for tire swings. However to enjoy a tree like this it has be planted a long time ago. I live in a new neighborhood so I’m out of luck.
Learning a new technology is like planting a tree. Everyone wants to enjoy the shade or be an expert without having to put in the time.
Hadoop & Spark are hot topics right now in the Dev/IT space. Many companies are looking for experts in Hadoop. Truth be told there aren’t many out there. The technology is new and evolving daily. Just checkout this blog post I wrote over a year ago about the popular frameworks, the number of new projects has doubled since that post was written.
Reason to learn Hadoop today..
So why don’t you become an expert in the Hadoop space? The best time to to start is today. Sign up for my newsletter to learn how you can become a Hadoop expert.
- You can command a higher salary (average 140K/year).
- You can get in on the ground floor of the Big Data movement.
- You can contribute to the “Big Data” frameworks through the opensource community.
- Chance to work with enormous data sets. Well it is BIG data…
- Opportunity to change the world with data.
- Huge community support.
- Work some of the biggest companies on the planet. Facebook, Verizon, Netflix, MLB,…..
- Cutting edge technology that is constantly evolving.
- Internet of Things
- Get to play with Hadoop’s friends Sqoop, Kafka, Pig, Hive, HBase, and many more.
- Top required skill employers are looking for.
- Unstructured data is exploding. Think Exabytes.
- Many available languages to write to write Map Reduce jobs with. Java, Python, Scala.
- Telling people at a dinner party that you do Machine learning is great conversation starter.
- Chance to learn something new EVERYDAY.
- Self driving cars.
- You run Hadoop on Linux.
- Hadoop is a scale out architecture.
- You will learn to love statistics.
- You will blow people away with your knowledge of algorithms.
- You get to us Mahout for K-means, Singular Value Decomposition, Least Squared, and more.
- You will begin to says phrases like “it was a small data set of only 10 terabytes”.
- Autonomous agents are mind blowing.
- Your Marketing friends are going to love you.
- The Elephants, Hives , and Pigs are going to need a Zookeeper.
- You can analyze video data.
- Data Scientist is ranked the #1 sexiest job of 21st century.
- MapReduce can be easy.
- high demand + talent gap = multiple opportunities
- Hadoop runs from the command line.
- Java is your friend.
- Future proofing your career.
- You can become a Chief Data Officer
- Predictive and prescriptive analytics are cool.
- All companies are becoming data companies.
How many more reasons do you need to learn Hadoop today? If you are ready then I suggest you with my Hadoop from the command line course to learn the basics.