Can Start With Why Help Data Engineers?
One of the most popular Ted Talks is Simon Sinek’s where he talks about the Golden Circle. The talk is based on his book Start With Why. Last year I was gifted the book after watching the video during a meeting. While the book is not necessarily about Technology or Big Data it certainly applies for Data Engineers/Data Scientist.
One of the keys skills I’ve talked about before is know what the business use case is for your Big Data Projects. Start With Why builds upon understanding why we are doing the task in our careers. As a engineer we tend to focus heavily of the what and how (think tools/frameworks/coding techniques) but the why is acutally the most important aspect (also the hardest to express).
Favorite Quotes From Start With Why
- “The problem is, we’ve all been in situations in which we have all the data and get lots of good advice but things don’t go quite right”
- “They engineered the outcome they wanted from the beginning. If they didn’t achieve their desired outcome, they understood it was because of a decision they made at the start of the process”
- “Every instruction we give, every course of action we set, every result we desire, starts with the same thing: decision”
- “Price always cost something. The question is how much are you willing to pay for the money you make?”
- Rebates “Call it the tax on the disorganized”
Watch the video below to see my Start With Why Book review.
Video – Start With Why Book Review